972 College Ave. NW: A 1866 Georgian Cottage home
This home was first constructed in 1866 for W.E. Treadwell in what was the time, Newton County. Mr. Treadwell was a Civil War Veteran and a local cotton buyer. He later made his money selling guano fertilizer in Atlanta.
Mr. W.H. Lee purchased the home in 1872 from Mr. Treadwell. Mr. Lee was one of the first graduates of Atlanta Medical College in the 1850's where Grady Memorial Hospital is located now. Lee was conscripted into the Confederate Army by his brother to be a field surgeon during the war. After the war, he and his son ran a pharmacy business in Olde Town until the early 1900's. His daughter Annie owned the home until GC Sims purchased it in the early 1930's. Mr. Sims was President of the Bank of Rockdale and lived in the home with his wife Dorothy.
The Georgia Cottage has been the home to the Sullivan family since 2015. The Georgian Cottage architecture is known its pyramid-shaped roofline, symmetrical layout and wide front porches. The front part of the home is new construction with several modern-day amenities.